Thursday, March 10, 2011

Personal Integral Assessment & Universal Loving Kindness



  1. Psychospiritual
    1. conative
      1. I am motivated by a desire to serve others. It used to be that I sought external validation for my good deeds. Today I am more content with the feeling that comes from within when I do for others. 
    2. cognitive
      1. I am constantly seeking knowledge and experience.I am a perpetual student, always taking workshops and classes with a goal of personal and career growth in mind.
    3. emotional
      1. I do have codependent tendencies and wish I were less reactive in some situations. Recognizing these tendencies has been a gradual process. I do think I have come a long way with this. 
  2. Interpersonal
    1. personal
      1. I have a pretty good relationship with myself. I try to be honest with myself about my strengths and weaknesses.   I try every day to be the best person I can be, and I work on forgiveness to myself for mistakes I have made and my short comings. 
    2. family
      1. My family relationships are a weak link for me. I am geographically very distant from most of my relatives and some of the key figures in my life suffer from drug and alcohol addiction, so these relationships can be strained. I love my children, but parenthood comes with challenges. As frustrating as it is sometimes, parenthood is an excellent opportunity for personal growth.
    3. community
      1. I would like to develop more in this area. I am not all that involved in my community. I find myself being ‘too busy’ and I am a little shy and introverted. I used to volunteer at my child’s school frequently, but at her age there is not as much need. My son will start kindergarten in August. I will have more opportunities to volunteer with his class. I have taken steps to be more involved in that I just signed up to have a booth promoting my spa at the local street fair coming up in a couple of months. I also attended an event at a meditation center where I felt comfortable. I do belong to various ‘communities’ of Yogis, Bodyworkers, and Energy Workers. I would like to be more involved with all of them.
  3. Biological
    1. Fitness
      1. I engage in a moderate amount of physical activity. My favorites are yoga and hiking which are all good for developing the mind, body, spirit connection. I should do more strength training exercise and more aerobic activity as well. 
    2. Nutrition
      1. I am aware of what it takes to eat healthy in respect to personal nutritive requirements, environmental impact and respect to animals. I try to purchase organic, sustainable, minimally if at all processed foods, but also balance a tight budget. Recently I have notices my body physically reacting to processed sugary foods, so I have restricted them greatly. Even with this awareness, I think my diet could be healthier.
    3. self regulation
      1. I take some time to meditate daily. I have gotten progressively more consistent and more at ease with practice. I also take acupuncture regularly, chiropractic and massage therapy when ever I can.
  4. Worldly
    1. work 
      1. My work is all about nourishing people’s bodies, minds, and spirits. There is always opportunity to go deeper, but I am fulfilled in the work I do, for it feeds my spirit as well as my pocketbook. My work inspires me to go deeper, to learn more, to become more intuitive.
    2. social activism
      1. I do hold a deep desire to help make the world a better place, however I find myself often holding back on this. I often put my busyness, the logistics of my life first. I used to go out on a limb in protests and do more volunteer work before I became a parent. I find myself using my kids as an excuse why I can not contribute at this time. I am too busy. I haven’t the money. It’s too dangerous. These are all excuses I need to turn around and learn to work with. I need to teach my children the value of standing up for what you believe in. It is worth my time to give to others. 
    3. generativity
      1. I do enjoy sharing and teaching others what I have learned. One of the the most rewarding aspects of my work is empowering others with the tools that help them flourish in their own lives. 
The goal of my personal integral assessment is to reduce my suffering and promote my flourishing. In this process I am able to see what aspects of my life are significant sources of distress and which areas hold the greatest possibilities for growth and development. Resolutions are made in this process that address both short term relief and long term relief from suffering. Clear distinctions can be made between what gives immediate pleasure and what supports long term flourishing. The process aids in development of psycho-spiritual aspects which are essential for spiritual health. The assessment requires guidance and listening on a deep level addressing the aspects of our being that are ripe for development here and now. The most important thing to remember in the process is that I am perfect just the way I am.  I am not anxious bout non-perfection because everything is as it should be.
This assessment and the Universal Loving Kindness exercise serve to remind me that my real goals, what really fulfills me, has little to do with material success, but with service. I am now ready to explore ways that I can integrate more community service into my life. This service must include my children. I am ready and willing to serve. I am ready and willing to receive. I am healthy, happy, gracious, free. I am free to choose my own destiny.
Namaste

2 comments:

  1. Tonia, you have done an excellent job. I can see that this blog will work for you very well as a tool to share your line of work and your beliefs. I commend you! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonia,

    This is very impressive and inspiring! You actually sound more community-involved than most people I know. And don't forget to be kind to yourself, too. I always feel that family comes first, so when you say that you think you use your children as an excuse to avoid social activism, I think I you are wrong. There needs to be a balance of these activities, and right now your young children need you to be there for them. That's just more important than trying to over-extend yourself. Too soon they'll be grown up and need you less, then you can focus of some the other aspects.

    Sally

    ReplyDelete